Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 2 of Day Care

Man-o-man did I ever think daycare would ever be a phrase ever spoken in our home without a tinge of contempt.

Well, welcome to day 2.  Believe it not, it is so much better than what I would have ever imagined.  Where in the world I was I getting these images of children screaming and crying as their ever stoic parents exited the infant room to head out to the daily grind?  Exit over-active imagination and enter reality: a smiling, bouncing almost 7 month old upon deposit and receipt.  We just couldn't be happier with the staff (one of which is an acquaintance of mine), the age of the babies (all around 6-7 months except for one walking and babbling 10 month old) and the convenience of the location (a mere two minute walk from our home).

My knee-jerk reaction is to ask myself what was my hang-up?  But quite honestly, there isn't anything more natural to second-guess the decision to go back to work.  It's hard!  The most important little morsel of yourself and your favorite person in the world sits in daycare from day to day. So, I remind myself, it is okay to not have all the answers, to doubt why in the world I'm still working but to also let go of my insecurities and embrace the empowerment and joy I experience from being the ultimate multi-tasker:  Career-woman and mom.  I've read many magazine covers, blogs and articles and discussed this topic with many women even before Jona was a glimmer in our eye.  Now I finally get it.

So as this week winds down and Ryan and I digest our first week of daycare, I feel a sense of accomplishment of getting through our first week of daycare and another milestone as parents.  Working or not... I think all of you out there will agree..there's just isn't anything more wonderful than taking care of your little one.

2 comments:

  1. What a great post Missy! You are right, there is nothing more wonderful than taking care of your little one(s)! I'm so glad day care is going well and you are enjoying being a working momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad daycare is better than you anticipated. It is such a great feeling knowing that they are making friends and having a great time! No one can replace you, but it is comforting knowing our children are being well taken care of!

    ReplyDelete